It continues to amaze me at how well Bethany is responding to her Growth Hormone Therapy and how she just takes it in stride and it doesn't phase her. I am please to report that she continues to grow. She had another check-up yesterday with her endocrinologist and since she started taking her meds (almost 2 years ago) she has grown a whopping 9 inches....yes I typed that right 9. Before starting all this treatment for her we were told that the average child grows between 4 to 5 inches in a year. This newest stat for Bethany means that for the last 2 years (with her hormone shots) she grew like an average child.
I am starting to see the results of these shots in more than just the numbers too. Before this I could buy her a pair of pants and she would almost wear them out before she would grow out of them. I wish that I could link to other posts (something that I should probably learn how to do), but I posted on this a while ago and re-read it last night. She is growing out of clothes now. I am seeing it with my own eyes. I have had to tell her a couple of times that she needed to put that pair of pants away because she looked like she was waiting for a flood. I have seen her start to reach things in the kitchen cabinets that she would have in the past had to get a stool to get. I know that older siblings aren't always taller than the younger ones (my younger sister is taller than me) but she is finally taller than Mariah. They still resemble each other, but I am not getting the "Are they twins?" question much anymore. They now look like siblings and not twins.
I reflect on my attitude in the past about this, I think I have run the range of emotions. I have been angry about our diagnosis, I have shed lots of tears, but I think that now I have accepted that this is our lot in life for the moment. I don't like that we have to give her shots every night, but I know that without them her life would be completely different.
GHD for us has become the norm. We have incorporated it into our lives. All it means for us at this point is a few more doctors visits, maybe some extra blood work and x-rays, a package delievered to our home once a month, extra time in our bedtime routine and the knowledge that we are doing our best for her.
Nails Done
6 months ago
1 comment:
This is exciting news! I remember the worry you had as they did tests a few years? ago. Glad she's had that growth.
Bobi
Post a Comment