I seem to have times were I feel more creative than others and this last few weeks have been like that. I have been trying to catch up on my mending and in order to do that I also had to create as well. Part of that creative process led me to make this:
I only made the green dress, the cream apron we are borrowing from my mother.
This is for the pioneer trek that Amanda gets to go on this year. Our stake has a trek for the youth once every 4 years, for those who are 14 and up at the time. This is the year and since Amanda is old enough, we are fortunate that we get to make the preperations for her to go. One of these is making her a dress so that she can experience the handcart trek like a pioneer women would have. This dress was a stretch (a HUGE stretch) for me to sew. The YW leaders asked that we bring the fabric and they had a night where the mothers came and helped make them. There was no pattern----I HATE sewing without a pattern. They laid Amanda on the floor and measured her and cut it out and then told me how to sew it together. That is not the way I like to make dresses, let me tell you. But we got it done.
Because of that creation it lead me to make these:
I had enough fabric left over from Amanda's trek dress that I could make her another full skirt and these other skirts for my other girls. Besides that I made a scripture bag for Mariah too......and I still have fabric left over! These jean skirts for the younger girls were so easy to make. I followed a "pattern" that my friend Jenna had posted on her blog.(Skirt pattern) I modified it a little as I wanted my girls' skirts to be a little longer. But since I had the general idea of what needed to happen it wasn't so hard.
Trying to get my mending pile done also led me to those skirts as I had a bunch of jeans that had huge holes in the knees and I couldn't patch them to make them usable that way anymore, but I could use them for skirts. I still have a ton that I am going to cut off for shorts. But I found this pair of pants that I could fix and did for Bethany:
There was just a small hole, but I didn't think that she would want anyone to know that I mended it, so I put a star on them. I thought that they turned out cute, and seeing as they are putting these sorts of things all over pants now days.....heck why not.
1 comment:
The skirts are adorable!
Post a Comment