Sunday, October 2, 2011

Gabe's "Little" One

So yesterday afternoon I took the kids to their cousins birthday party. I was hoping that Gabe would join us later after he finished helping a friend paint, but I guess that wasn't going to happen as he had other ideas. Instead he took our neighbor and went out antelope hunting. I thought maybe that was what was happening as his rifle was gone when I got home. So I called him, knowing that he wouldn't answer, just so I could leave him a message, just to say I was thinking about him and loved him.

He calls me back a while later and says he is on his way home that he got his antelope. I asked about it and he said "Oh, its just a little guy". Okay, I should know by now not to take him seriously, but in my mind I was thinking...little, okay, a yearling or so his horns aren't very big. I also started thinking that maybe he just got the first one that he found. Our elk season opens next week and Gabe had been talking like he just wanted to get the hunt over with. I thought that maybe he just got it so that he wouldn't be hunting antelope, deer AND elk all at the same time.....yea right! When he pulls up to the house, I go out to meet him with the camera....gotta have pictures right! So he opens the tailgate and I see this guy:Yea, he isn't very big is he? He only has the tallest set of horns that I have seen on an antelope. He is bigger than even mine or Amanda's (and ours were small by any stroke of the imagination)! He is just too modest I think.


But I would have to call this a successful hunting season....we put in as a party to get these antelope (6 of us) and all 6 were able to harvest one.

No comments: