Tonight I had one of the moments that brings back a lot of memories and sometimes makes you wish for the good old days again. You know the ones, when you really didn't have a care in the world, other than if that cute boy in science class liked you, or if you were going to get the car on Saturday night. I took Wyatt to the high school varsity basketball game tonight. We didn't go just to go, although that would have been fun. We went because Wyatt and a group of other 2nd graders were going to sing the National Anthem. We needed to be there early so they could get organized and set up. And like usual there was the JV game going before. So the band was there playing, the crowd and the kids were excited. I would have hated to be the music teacher just then, the kids were jumping around and just not wanting to listen to the instructions. The JV game ended and the kids all lined up and went to where they would wait. I went and found a seat, actually pretty close to the band and the student section, to wait for the warm up period to end and the game to get underway. As I was waiting I started to reflect on the last time that I had actually been at a Varsity game and it seemed to me that it was when my brother Tate was playing ball and I was in college. Then it didn't matter because it was still my alma mater and my brother was playing. Tonight I wasn't even going to stay for the game because of other obligations at home, but I was torn between who I should be rooting for.....should I continue to root for my alma mater, or start cheering for the new home town that I have adopted and go agains what had been ingrained in my system for----forever----cheering for a team/school that was supposed to be the "enemy". I had grown up that I wasn't supposed to cheer for RHS that we weren't supposed to be friendly with them, because then it would be harder to try and beat them when it came time for the competition. But then I realized that I don't know any one any more at CHS.....the only ties I have are the fact that it is my alma mater, and my parents still live in the area, but I need to form the new ties here. My children are growing up in this district and will be wearing these school colors----so I had better start learning how to root RHS. I will always have a special place in my heart for CHS and the old blue and gold, but my heart is begining to show signs of the red and black that comes with living here. But no matter who you are, or where you live----you can't beat the Friday night b-ball games with the spirit of the crowd cheering their boys (or girls) on to victory, supported by the ever boisterious student body, goaded into action by the cheerleaders in their short skirt and pom-poms all accompanied by the stirring drum beats that you can't resist tapping toes to. So the winner is----GO BIG RED!! And so I will leave you with the pictures (actually they will be first) of those excited 2nd graders and one of the band (to bring those memories to your minds too).
Nails Done
8 months ago
2 comments:
I love this post jewls. Your gonna bleed red and black soo as yours kids are on the court on in the band, I SWAER. I bleed purple. But I did enjoy this post, go BIG RED!
I don't know, I don't think I could ever root for RHS, but then again, I guess it's not my adopted home town. :) I rooted for Sweden when they played for the world cup in Soccer. But I guess its different when you are to choose between a HS and a country? I think I'll always root for Sweden when they play, even if they play against the U.S.
My big dilemma here in New York is whether to choose the Yankees or Mets--even though I have no idea about baseball. (And I mean absolutely no idea!) I'm a traditionalist so maybe I'll go with the Yankees.
Post a Comment