So we decided to start out our new year by going to the mountain and go snowmachining......that went off really well. Actually I am pleased with how the day did turn out, but the kids were a little disappointed that they weren't able to do much machining. So here is the story.
We were going to get up early and leave, but as we were just tired, we slept in a bit. Instead of leaving at 7, we left at 9. As we were leaving it was a beautiful day here, and I was hesitant that there would be any snow on the mountain. We were about half way to Dubios when the car ahead of us looked to have a bunch of snow fall off of it (picture what snow looks like falling off a car while it is driving 65 + and apply that picture here). As we got closer to them, they had pulled off the highway and true to Gabe's style we stopped to see what we could do. The car had actually overheated and so we were in rescue mode. Gabe did what he could with no antifreeze and tons of water. Then he told the family that we would follow them until they got to Dubios so in case something else happened they weren't stranded. They weren't able to go far before it was again overheating. Another stop to see if there was something more that we could do, and then continue on following them. After several stops they decided that it wasn't worth it to go on, gave us some numbers to call and asked us to call when we got service (cell phones are great when there is service, but we were in an area where there wasn't any.) So we drove farther on until we reached a point that we were able to get service and placed a call. Then we turned around and drove back to where they were and told them that their help was coming but it would be about an hour or so (they were also headed snowmachining and had 2 machines that they needed help with). Then we turned back to Dubios and headed on. When we got to Dubios it had started to snow and blow and the road said that there was to be no unneccesary travel ahead. We went just a bit farther to our friend's cabin. After looking around we decided that we would ride a bit, but not much because we didn't want to be caught in the storm and get stuck on the mountain. We unloaded one of our machines and while Gabe took the kids for a ride, I got the next one ready with their snowgear while sitting in the Excursion. The kids all got a ride, I got one too and then we loaded up and headed for home. On the way home we drove by a place called Diversion Dam----seeing as how none of us had been there before we decided to stop and take a look. This is actually a place where they divert the water from the river into a canal and send it on to Riverton. It was pretty cool seeing all the mechanisms that they used to make the water run where they wanted it to. We walked down to the riverside and onto the ice to see if we could get a better look. Gabe took the camera and made me about die, because he was able to walk right up to the dam on the ice and got some pictures. If I would have had the camera I would have taken some of him climbing over some of the cement outcroppings and such.
I know that the kids weren't happy about how long they got to ride the machine, but I am hoping that the lesson was learned that we need to stop and help our fellowmen, even when it causes problems with our plans. I am sure that if we would have kept on driving we wouldn't have got there in the middle of the snow storm, but at what cost to that other family? How long would they have had to wait for help? Would they have even gotten to play with their machines? Although we knew this family by association (the father's brother is a member of the church in one of the other wards, and Amanda knows the daughter), that doesn't mean that we stopped just for that----we actually didn't know until after we stopped. I hope that we can all do a good deed and not for the glory that comes from doing that deed. I am not telling this story to get pats on the back for doing it, I am telling in hopes that we can all learn a lesson about ourselves. Ask yourself what you would have done....
Nails Done
8 months ago
1 comment:
We don't generally stop here in New York because cell phone service is so good here and anytime you do stop, they've already called for help and are just waiting for it to arrive. And plus, people just aren't all that keen to have a stranger stop. I guess I'm the same way because I worry about all the strange people there are in the world.
But in Wyoming, it's different. I know that sounds funny, but we would stop for someone because we know how bad the cell phone service can be and know how the roads can be deserted. Plus, my own family has been helped by kind strangers. One time my sister, Trish got stuck on top of South Pass from a bad storm. She was taking a friend and her baby back to Cody. If no one had pulled over to help them, they might have died.
You know how the storms are on that pass.
Your kids would have forgotten the snow machine trip in a year or so, but they'll never forget helping someone in need. I know that I've never forgotten it when my dad helped people. We picked up a lady hitchhiker one time on the way to Billings. There are other times too, but I don't want to make this comment too long.
Post a Comment