As I have looked back on our year, in pictures, I have come to find that the things that I have taken pictures of are those "stop and smell the roses" kinds of things. Having children has made me realize a few things about myself..the first being if I am to be giving away some food item, I hesitate to let the children help because I want it to be perfect. Another is that sometimes I say "no" to them, just because it is going to make a mess or I don't feel like doing that today. But I have to remember that they aren't going to be children for much longer, they are going to grow up and not want to blow bubbles in the freezing cold or point out the amazing sunset that you have been too busy to see. So my list of things I want to remember for this year are those that have made me focus more on someone else and those "stop and smell the roses" moments.
1. Cutting 10 inches of hair for Locks of Love. This Feb after a couple of months fighting with the new baby and long hair, I cut off 10 inches and donated it to Locks of Love. I will never know who got my hair, but knowing that because I CAN grow it, someone else can have hair too.
2. Bubble blowing at Grandma's at Easter. For Easter, Mindy gave the kids some bubbles. I wasn't too excited about going outside to blow them, because it was freezing cold, but I did. I have a wonderful picture of Jacob laughing as he tries to catch all the bubbles. It didn't kill me to go blow bubbles, but I did create a wonderful memory.....and the kids had a great time.
3. Paper throwing. I have a great staircase that lends itself to having things thrown off the top. At the top it is like a balcony to the entry way. The kids had found a carton of notepapers and were throwing them off the balcony to the floor below. Then they would race down the stairs, pick up the paper and run back to do it all over again. Normally I wouldn't have allowed this, but it was paper, and the kids were willing to pick it up at the end of the session---so watch the ticker tape parade.
4. Planting grass---we finally planted a lawn this year, it took a lot of work, but the end result is wonderful to enjoy, and we were blessed because just after we planted, Heavenly Father took over the watering duties, we didn't have to water for about 2 weeks.
5. Our motor home. I really didn't want to buy it, but Gabe convinced me that we would enjoy it, and we did. We took it to Jeff and Becky's wedding and the kids had a ball running up and down while Gabe was driving. We took it to Lander and went camping---one of the kids' favorite things this year.
6. Flower garden. After the lawn came in nice, we planted the flowers. With a little elbow grease and lots of care on my part they FINALLY bloomed and we enjoyed the colors.
7. New Excursion. See my post on that one, point to Gabe for a bigger family.
8. Sunset in Lander. Thanks to Wyatt I enjoyed a wonderful sunset that I might have missed trying to take care of the other family things.
9. Rainbows over the neigbors house. After one rainstorm I noticed that there was not one, but two rainbows over the neighbor's house, and then looking down the street, I found there were 2 more over those houses too!!
10. This one I don't think my dad knows I took . While in Sinks Canyon this year, I found him "resting" on the rocks. I think he was aware of all the kids around him, but he wasn't.
Nails Done
6 months ago
1 comment:
We wanted to say Hi. We love your blog and are excited to keep up on what is going on in your lives.
Robert & Paula Holder
Post a Comment