So of all my children I seem to have to worry about Amanda the most when it comes to accidents and breaking things. Let's recap some of her more outrageous accidents. First, when Jacob was about 3 months old, she fell off her Primary Activity Days Leader's trampoline.....24 hrs later we found it was broken right below the elbow joint. Fast forward 6 months.....she falls off the monkey bars at school and breaks the same arm right above the elbow joint. The next year, she is with her Aunt Heather at a local park and smacks her head on one of the bars and give herself a trip to the ER because she knocked herself out cold.....end result--concussion. Fast forward to Feb 5,2011.....The youth of our Stake had an ice skating event planned. Of course we were going to let her go. And this time I didn't even warn her about being careful (I figured she knew the routine). Off she went to have fun. And fun she did have until about 5 minutes before the event was scheduled to end. Then she fell. Our neighbor was with them and she called me and said "I don't want to worry you or anything, but Amanda fell and hurt her ankle. It is swollen and hurts pretty bad" (probably not her exact words, but close enough). So they brought her home. As I was waiting for her I was mentally trying to figure out what we were going to do with her....would we have to make a trip to the ER? Was it broken or sprained?
When she got home, we looked and it was indeed swollen. I wasn't sure what to do, so I defered to Gabe. We proceeded on the assumtion that it was just sprained. We had her icing it and elevating it, staying off it as much as she could. She even stayed home from church on Sunday as it was still really swollen and painful to walk on. Sunday night I looked at it and it just didn't seem like the swelling was going down at all, and so I decided to take her into have it checked tomorrow.
I started with her regular doctor. We had him look at it and he discussed the fact that it could be broken and needed x-rays to know for sure (I figured that one). So our next stop was the hospital to have x-rays done. X-rays were completed and we just needed to wait for them to call her doctor and give them the results. The call came to us about 2 hrs later that yes it was broken. They referred us to Dr. B to have it fixed. Luckily we were able to get into him that afternoon. He has an x-ray machine in his office and he did more x-rays as well as gave us a set of crutches and a "boot" to help immobilize her ankle. He wanted a better picture of her injury so we drove to a different hospital to have a CT done of her ankle. Then we waited. Dr. B said that there was a possiblity that she would need to have surgery. 2 days later we met with Dr. B again and the verdict........yes surgery was needed to repair the break. She had actually broken her ankle joint and the tibia (the big bone of your leg) where it connects to the ankle. So we got the date of her surgery and left with instructions that she was not to be bearing ANY weight on the ankle and that she was to be using her crutches.
This is just one of the bruises that she had on her ankle from the accident. The picture really doesn't do it justice.
Katherine and Amanda (and Flat Stanley) in the waiting room at Dr. B's on the day we found out that surgery would be required to fix it.
1 comment:
Oh, poor Amanda. I'm so glad that everything is getting taken care of and she is doing well now.
And I LOVE that Flat Stanley went along for the ride :).
Post a Comment