Tuesday, September 20, 2011

2 out of 3


So we have filled 2 out of the 3 tags that were issued to our house for antelope this year and it is only the beginning of the season! Yesterday Gabe took me out to try and fill my tag. Guess what? I got one! My first ever antelope. I must say that they are harder to hunt than deer. They don't stand still long enough to give you much time to think about your shot. You really have to be confident and just take it. Plus they are much harder to sneak up on than deer. There isn't much to hide behind and so therefore if you can see them, chances are they can see you too. With a deer you can often times make a noise that will cause them to stand and give you more time for a shot....not with antelope. You had better be quick about it because if you aren't.....there it goes down the hill. They can cover a lot of ground quickly too. So now I guess the hardest work begins....to butcher them and get them into the freezer. We will have about 100 pounds of meat now from Amanda's antelope and mine. Gabe on the other hand still has about a month of hunting left to get his. He is going for an even greater challenge....he wants to try and kill his with his bow. I thought they were hard enough to sneak up on with my rifle, I don't even want to try and do it with a bow. To get a good shot with a bow you have to be within 50 yards of the thing! Holy moly I was having a hard enough time with my rifle.

No comments: