I don't know about you, but Homecoming seems to have lost it's granduer since leaving high school. Maybe it is just the fact that I was never big into those social events in high school because of the possiblity that there might be drinking involved and I don't do that. But then again maybe it is the fact that the sports that I happened to be in during that time were never at home for the parade. I never did go to a homecoming parade in high school because of my chosen sport. As a freshman I was wary of doing anything where the upper classmen would/could haze me, as a sophmore I was a swimmer and we were at an away meet, as a Junior and senior I was a cross country runner and one yr was away and then next was at our home meet---which was starting at the same time as the parade. Since having kids, things are different. I take my kids to the parade because they love seeing all the kids and hearing the fire trucks and getting the candy. This year however was different still. I now have a child old enough to get involved in these things. Amanda marched in the homecoming parade with the 7th and 8th grade band. I did try and take a picture, but if you have ever tried to track a moving band with a slow firing camera, then you know my delimma. I did get a picture of the band, and of Amanda's shoes, but not her full face. But even having children particpate is not the same as doing it yourself. In a way it makes me long for the days when I was there, to do it over again, but then again maybe not. Will the thrill of going to the football games ever come back? Maybe if Wyatt or Jacob play or other boys their age that we know, but for now the Homecoming thrill is dead. Or maybe my problem is the fact that I am not a native here and that their way of celebrating is different from what I know---but I have lived here long enough that I don't have any ties to CHS anymore, but I haven't really built ties to RHS yet because none of the kids are that old. For all that matters though, the parade was nice, Amanda did a wonderful job with the band and in the end RHS lost the game dispite the hype and hoopla before. Better luck next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment