Sunday, July 5, 2009

E-I-E-I-Ouch


This is actually a continuation of our Old Macdonald trip, but a story in itself, hence the new post. While we were there they had some chickens that were able to roam free around the farm. Gabe had caught a couple right away for the kids to touch and pet. SO, I think you might be getting the idea of where I am headed with this, while the older children were riding the ponies we had a little bit of a problem. Katherine for some reason won't pet the horses or cows here. Actually she won't pet anything that is bigger than her, sometimes I don't blame her. But I digress. As the older children were on the ponies she found something to entertain her, the chickens. I snapped this first picture because she was so cute. She was chasing a chicken around, I believe trying to catch it like her daddy, so she could pet it. What happened next was a scene from one of those shows where you send in your movies.....you know when animals attack. As she was chasing the chicken she fell down, as young ones tend to do, and that is when this rooster just jumped on her. He started attacking her, and luckily Gabe was close by and was able to get him off before she got really hurt. But she did get one of the roosters spurs into her neck and a couple of bruises on her back. I will have to admit I was a little scared watching it happen, but can laugh about it after just because of the way Katherine was acting. She would hold her neck and say "chicken" anytime you asked her about the farm or say the word chicken. Even now, several days after the incident, when you ask her where the chickens are she will hold her neck instead of pointing out our back door. So....if you go to the farm, just be careful. When told of the incident, the attendents told us that it was mating season and was pretty common for the roosters to do that if given the chance.

No comments: