Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mt. Rushmore

This was the destination that my kids kept talking about, just because when we told them we were going on vacation we said we would go to Mount Rushmore. As adults we know that means that we will also see the area and other things, but for the kids the whole trip was about this place. I will have to admit it was amazing to stand at the base of the mountain and look up to see the faces of those men whom are considered great leaders for our country. I am really glad that I didn't have to be the one that decided who to carve there----I don't think I could have done that.



In the area leading to the viewing area they have flags from all 50 states displayed. Each flag has the name of the state it represents and the year of admittance to the union. It was pretty awe inspiring to look at all those flags and know that truly we are a united nation. Of course I did take special pictures of our state flag and the dates underneath, but I thought that you would all much rather see the general impression of the flags than my personal state flag.















This last picture of the kids is of course the one that is probably the one you all want to see. We were hoping that this vacation would have been with my parents, but they were unable to come. So I had to take a picture of the kids in front of the monument for her. I actually took one with my camera phone and sent it to her via a picture message---just to rub it in---but also because it is a great picture. (Of course I am completely biased for several reasons---1 I gave birth to those children and so I think that they are the best in the world and 2. I took the picture).








We had been told that we should go to the night lighting of Mt. Rushmore, but we decided that we wouldn't because 9 PM is a little late for our youngest. Overall I was just amazed at the monument and all that it represents. I have been to this area before, but it has been 10 yrs since I was here. The last time I was there for a wedding of my old roommate and wasn't able to get to the sights. And when I was able to drive by Mt. Rushmore, it was so cloudy that you couldn't see anything. I am grateful for the chance to go, and in hindsight glad that we went first thing in the morning.......it rained all afternoon. And at this time of year I am grateful for the men on this mountain and their courage and strength to do what they felt was right. For if they hadn't we wouldn't be able to have a 4th of July to celebrate it would be just another day.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: