Right now this title describes how I am feeling. We just got back from the doctor's office where we were given a crash course in giving shots. We have had Bethany's meds for over a week now (see my post on 2 packages for that story) and now we have finally been taught how to use the pen and give her the medication.
I don't feel up to the task. I don't feel like I am qualified to give her the shots. I thought that this is what we paid nurses to do---give shots. I couldn't give her the first one....Gabe had to do it. With all the information that was just thrown at us I feel like I am in a daze. I can't think straight, my hands are shaking because I feel like I have just been thrust into hell. Pardon me for that, but that is where I feel like I am.
The nurse told us that we should probably have anyone else that we might ever leave Bethany with come in for the teaching so they can know how to properly give her the shots. So in other words we will never for the next 10 years have a vacation without Bethany. It feels like I have just been sentenced to 10 years of jail time. But she didn't say that we HAD to have them trained so we might be able to go later. And I remember the endocrinologist saying that pretty soon she would be able to give them herself....
I know that this if for Bethany and that she will thrive on this.....but I am struggling with denial still. I don't want to have to do this. I don't want her to have to have a shot every night before bed. But on the reverse of that I don't want to have such a short child either. For a refresher she is 6 weighs 33 pounds and is 39 inches tall.....about the size of an average 3 yr old.
Gabe was looking over the stuff that we got to help us with the shots and he could have given her a shot Monday night. I made him wait because I didn't feel comfortable with that idea. I watched him give her the injection today in the office and I still didn't feel comfortable with the idea of doing that. Maybe it was the fact that they had given us a video to watch (I finally broke down and watched it this afternoon before going to the office) and they had a sequence of events that you were supposed to follow. Gabe was doing the steps just not in the same order.....I know it wasn't wrong, but something inside of me just turned OCD and I wanted that order. No, it seemed wrong not to do it in that order and my OCD voice inside was shouting "NO! NO! GO BACK AND DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!"
But I guess that the main point of this is that Bethany got her first dose of her hormone therapy today and I am a wreck. I just want to scream and shout that I can't do this, I don't want to do this, don't make me do this. And all the while I am stamping my feet and throwing a tantrum.
We will get through this and we will succeed in giving the shots, but right at the moment I am not happy about doing it. As Gabe said it will get easier as time goes on and pretty soon it will be second nature to us.
Nails Done
8 months ago
3 comments:
Julie, wow, I am so impressed with your honesty of emotion on how you are felling with this new trial in life. I love you. With that said, from experience, it will get easier. But the pain, frustration and sorrow that comes from this will only make you a stronger woman, wife and mother. (((hugs))
PS - is the "Pen" your describing all self contained, or do you have to draw the meds up? Bailee has a pen (Epi) and can (and has) given them to herself.
Love and miss you much,
Dee
Julie,
My heart bleeds for you. I have not been in your situation and hope I never have to be, but as a mom I feel your strugles. When my sis was young she had to have shots regularly for a while and since my grandma worked for our doc he would let grandma give the shots at home so my mom didn't have to take the trip to the office. I know it was very hard on my grandma becase she didn't want my sis to relate grandma and shots together,(my sis was under 3). When we did go to the office grandma would make one of the other nurses give us th shots because she hated giving them to her kids. But as a kid, I realy would have rather had grandma give them because I knew it was with love and that she was doing this to help me get better.
I am glad you are expressing your struggles with this and not holding them. Your are a great mom and doing this with love and your sweet girl knows you are not doing this to be mean.
Love,
Paula
Oh honey, this is hard. I'm so glad that you are sharing how you feel. You are going to get through this. I promise you.
Don't worry about never being able to go on vacation by yourselves for 10 years. I promise you, it will all work out.
Many hugs to you!
Post a Comment