I could have titled this post with many other things, but this is the one that most fits my feelings right now. I am so frustrated and disappointed with the doctors that I can't think straight. It isn't because they aren't doing a good job (they have done more than I would have thought and are really nice about it too), I think they are probably just as frustrated as I am, if not more. This all stems from our trip to Casper yesterday. As I have posted before we took Bethany to Denver to meet with an endocrinologist about the issues that her pediatrician has about her height and weight. At that time I was doing it out of duty because I wanted to prove to the doctor that there wasn't anything wrong with Bethany that she was just tiny, but yesterday blew that out of that water. Now I am doing this because I want to prove to myself that there isn't anything wrong with her and the she just got the short end of the genetic stick. But we still don't know if that is the case or if there really is something that can medically be done for her. After the blood testing in Oct, I had been told that she didn't have Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD) nor did she have the dreaded Turner's Syndrome (google it and you will know just as much as I did/do about this one). But yesterday the endocrinologist said that he thinks that the growth hormone might still be the problem. We are going to be doing another series of testing that hopefully will show us if that is truly the case. She hasn't grown much in the last 7 months. Actually when it comes down to it, she only grew 2 cm (not even 3/4 of an inch) when most kids are growing about 2 inches a year. I googled GHD last night and it said that one of the signals that a child might have it is if they are growing less than 2 inches a year. The doctor was concerned, not because she hadn't grown, but she is still falling off the chart and not even keeping a curve all her own. So this new testing that we are going to do comprises of a couple of blood tests among other things. The nice thing (if you can call it nice) is that we shouldn't have to travel for the tests. Her pediatrician should be able to do the testing right where we are. But the bad news is that she is not going to like having the test done. The whole procedure is to try and stimulate her body so they can measure her hormone levels. So they are going to inject her with some medications and then do some blood work. They will draw blood at 1 hr after the injection and then again at 2.5 hrs after. They are trying to find out what her body is doing with the medication that they injected. Then we wait for the doctor to call us and tell us the next step after that.
So needless to say that I am really disappointed in the results of yesterday's visit. It isn't Bethany's fault, as she has done everything in her power, but as her mother it hurts me to know that she has a long road ahead of her. She is the sweetest girl and the longer that she goes with being so tiny, the more teasing that she is going to get and then she really will have an issue with how tall she is.....right now she doesn't and I really hope that I can keep it that way.
Nails Done
6 months ago
4 comments:
I'm so sorry for all of you. That sounds like an awful procedure to go through. And poor little girl. Sometimes I get so frustrated with doctors. I know in Wyoming that your options are limited, but if it is possible, could you see a different pediatric endocronologist, say one in SLC or possibly go up to Billings? I understand that may not even be a possibility, but if you continue to feel so frustrated, you may feel directed to look at other routes. Good luck.
Ohhh I would just be so glad they caught it now if there is something to be caught. You want her to be the healthiest she can be and if she really has that it could cause some serious problems in the future. Whenever I feel down I just count my blessings. At least she is happy and healthy... only little. There are a lot worse things then having growth hormone problems. She can see, hear, walk, talk, breath, laugh,...ect ect. She wont even remember these tests hardly when she is older and if it prevents some future problems she will be so grateful for that. They aren't telling you she will probably die and taking out part of her lung... I've heard that one...everything will be okay. Just keep the Lord by your side and He will help you through the tests and help you to know what to do!!! And you always have neighbors willing to help.
I am so sorry you are going through this. We went through the similar thing with Courtnie when she was about 10. Hers came up more because whe was developing early and not in the normal order.Luckly all the test came back positive and I was able to convince the doc that all her grandmas, great grandmas and great great grandmas are all under 5'5" except one then they backed off some. Now she is 15 5'2" and 100 pound in soppy wet levi's and the doc's don't expect her to grow more than another 2 inches.
We will keep you in our prayers.
Audree has the same problem. She is almost 19 and just under 5 feet tall in socks. She weight a whole 98 pounds dripping wet. But it has not stoped her, you know her! Is what is going on with Beth the type that will make her a "little person" or just keep her on a "curve" all her own? (((HUGS)))
Dee
Post a Comment