For most this wouldn

't be a great occasion, but for those who have grown up around farm animals and animals in general today is a day to celebrate. The cows that live behind our house have a new member of their family this morning. The milk cow "Freedom" had her very first baby sometime last night or early this morning. I snuck in with the kids to show them the brand new baby (as he still has part of his umbilical cord attached) and snapped his first pictures too. The funny thing about this little guy is that we weren't expecting him until June or July.....but he looks really good for being 3 months early.....someone must have gotten their dates wrong. Of course this isn't my cow or baby, but it is always exciting to see a new baby, the always are so cute. Gabe says that babies need to be cute when they are born otherwise we wouldn't keep them. I mean how many of us would be parents if babies came looking and acting like a 13 yr old or 18 yr old? It has b

een fun for the kids to live where we live because of these animals that are around us.
Our friends the Gards actually own these cows and they have chickens and horses too. The kids like to go out and pet the horses and you have seen posts of them riding them too. The chickens are fun too, because every once and a while the rooster will crow and the kids like that. We tell them that the rooster is saying "Thank you very much" especially after Gabe and the kids have helped feed them and collect the eggs. I have enjoyed exposing my kids to the life and death aspects of the "farm" too. We have watched them kill the chickens and Gabe hangs his deer in the barn before cutting them up. I know that I am by no means a Farm Girl, but I am definetly NOT a City Girl either. We just like having the best of both worlds, living close to the "city" and also the "farm".
These pictures also remind me that spring really is coming, new babies at this time of year tend to do that for me. So congratulations are in order for "Freedom" and her new addition.
1 comment:
One thing I miss deeply about living so far from the country is that my children really haven't had exposure to farm animals or farm life. They don't know what it is like to drag a hose from the house to a horse tank. They don't know the responsibility of feeding dogs or even cats. They think we live in the country because it's not in the middle of town. But since I have hundreds of neighbors, it doesn't feel like the country to me.
I think its important for kids to understand life/death cycles as they watch farm animals and wild animals.
So its very cool that you are so close to animals!
Post a Comment