Saturday, April 18, 2009

Our Portfolio Party


Wyatt and Bethany's school has started doing something that I really like, although some might find it really cheesy. They have found a way to celebrate the children's writing by hosting a porfolio party. They invite parents and other significant adults to the school and then the children read and share their writing with them. The school's goal is to have every child have an adult to read to. This year was a little harder for me, simply because I have 2 children in the school and I am only one person. Thankfully the school gives you some time to plan and I was able to call in some back up---Mindy. We love having Mindy closer to us and for her to be able to drop what she was doing and come spend some time listening to my children read their masterpieces. I was planning on her to just be there for one child (Wyatt chose her), but we did get to switch and I was able to look at both Wyatt's and Bethany's things that they had to share.
The unique thing that Wyatt's teacher did was to have the children's writing stored in a pizza box. Each child had their own pizza box that they had decorated and then put their stuff into. I wish that I would have gotten a picture, but didn't of course, of all the pizza boxes stacked at the front of the room after they were all finished.
Bethany's class had just plain folders that they decorated with their names and anyother way that they wanted to. I am amazed at the talented writers that live in my home. I, of course, am a little biased as I am their mother, but it is the truth. Bethany had a page where she was talking about our excursion. I guess what amazed me about that, wasn't the sentence itself, but the spelling that she was doing. She had spelled excursion, so closely that you could tell what she meant. Then she had a sentence that she talked about her "Bear bones" (the dog). I am so proud of both of the children.
They even got a certificate that celebrated their writing skills. Way to Go!!! Good job Bethany and Wyatt!! Now if you want to help, I think that they are going to be doing this next year too, and I will really have a problem then, as I jump to 3 children in the school----volunteers are welcome.



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jason and Gina said...

Good job to Wyatt and Beth! And hooray for Aunt Mindy! Glad she was able to come and help.

JanCastro said...

Let us know the date for next year we will be glad to help out